Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Even a justice of the peace is scammed

I received an email in July, exactly one month before the proposed wedding date.
    Hi, 
    I want to make an inquiry of your availability to officiate our wedding ceremony which is coming up on August 26th, 2017 in Danbury, CT. My name is Dale Frankie, a researcher with a research company in NYC. I engage my long time girlfriend Kelly Mike at a family event in December. Kelly is awesome lady with a beautiful heart. I met her during a family reunion party in 2012. Our parents are from Toronto, Canada but they live in USA for more than 40 years. We like you to be part of our story by conducting a simple personalized wedding ceremony for us in the presence of our expected family members and guests. We've read reviews and testimonials about your performances exceeding couple's expectation. what are the information you require from us and how much do you charge for the service. I await your urgent response so we can move forward.
Thanks

I let him know I was available and the price of the service, asking for the location, time and if they will be exchanging rings, and promptly received a reply.

HI,
   Thanks for the information you provided. I'm also happy about your availability. For the price of $--- I'm much okay with it and the price is within the budget range. My God-father who will be taken care of the bill, he volunteer to pay for some of the vendors handling different aspect of the wedding. He his such a wonderful and awesome man. His method of payment is through certified check for good record,if you are okay with the payment method, send me all your details, full name to write on the check and your full address. Also send me your mobile number so we can 
exchange text messages. Me and my fiancee will be available a week before the wedding where we will hand over the marriage License to you and have lunch together at a nearby cafe if you don't mind. We can then talk more and answer any question from you. Please note that we want you to be part of our great love story and we believe that you will make our day a memorable one.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation 
Regards

The bells and whistles  stating "warning, warning Will Robinson" immediately went off. I did not receive a direct answer to the needed information and did not even have the bride's last name to prepare a program or draft.

I sent him a contract that morning.

My next response was again a thank you with none of the information included.

HI,
   Thanks for the information you provided. I'm also happy about your availability. For the price of $--- , i'm much okay with it and the price is within the budget range. My God-father who will be taken care of the bill, he volunteer to pay for some of the vendors handling different aspect of the wedding. He his such a wonderful and awesome man. His method of payment is through certified check for good record,if you are okay with the payment method, send me all your details, full name to write on the check and your full address. Also send me your mobile number so we can 
exchange text messages. Me and my fiancee will be available a week before the wedding where we will hand over the marriage License to you and have lunch together at a nearby cafe if you don't mind. We can then talk more and answer any question from you. Please note that we want you to be part of our great love story and we believe that you will make our day a memorable one.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation 
Regards

As you can see, the words do not vary, I then received a text asking for my address for the check....

and foolish me sends it.

I received a check on Saturday,  August 12 by priority mail. It is for $1,850.00, needless to say, this is a bit over my price of service even with the additional $25 he added to the last email. The money was written as a cashiers check with no contract included. The address on the envelope was the Institute of Technology and of course I looked up the bank, a legitimate institution.

I received a text at 10 pm on Saturday night, I was actually on my way to bed.

from area code 602: Eileen it me Dale. How are you doing today. I send you mail but I've not got your reply. My Godfather send me a mail that the check for your fee delivered at your mail box. Please confirm and get back to me asap. Dale Franke.

I actually texted back and went to bed letting him know there was no check and that I need a time and location. I also noted the difference in spelling of his last name. I heard a response and ignored it until morning

His three next texts asked me to check the mailbox the, gave me the tracking number and actually gave me an address in Danbury.

On Sunday, I looked up the address. The house is owned by a well known couple in Danbury, and although the house is still in both names, I believe the husband passed away last fall. I drove by the house on Monday and there is someone living there with an older car in the driveway, but I did not stop to introduce myself.

On Monday, I also called the bank. The young lady looked up the number on the cashier's check and let me know that it is no good, just as I suspected. She said to rip it up and asked for the remittee name, which I promptly supplied, and it was not Dale.

Dale called last night to ask if I received the check. I let him know that I called the bank and that the check was no good. I repeated the news twice, he stated he will call his "godfather" and hung up.

Is this the end of my latest saga? Time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment